Vermont Law Supports Accessory Housing Development
Posted Date: May 18, 2006


Regulatory Barriers Clearinghouse 'Strategy of the Month
Club' for May 2006: Statewide Protection for Accessory
If your state or community wants to promote accessory
dwellings (also known as in-law apartments or 'granny
flats') as part of its overall affordable housing
strategy, you might be interested in a new campaign
launched by the State of Vermont. Last year, the
legislature revised state law to require that local
governments permit one accessory dwelling unit per
single-family house, provided that certain conditions
are met. In order to promote accessory dwellings and the
new state law, the Vermont Department of Housing and
Community Affairs produced a brochure describing issues
that owners should consider when deciding whether to
construct an accessory dwelling unit. The brochure
outlines conditions under which local governments must
permit the accessory dwelling, and provides descriptions
of state permitting issues, landlord-tenant laws, fair
housing, and property and income tax issues that might
influence an owner's decision to build an accessory unit.
You can view a copy of this informative brochure
HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research welcomes
the new members of our listserv community who joined us
at the American Planning Association's National Planning
Conference. You play a vital role in advancing solutions
to affordable housing for American families, and we're
very pleased to have you as a subscriber to the
Regulatory Barriers Clearinghouse listservice. If you
know of others who may be interested in learning about
our efforts to promote 'regulatory landscaping' that
supports affordable, mixed-income development, please
forward this email to their attention. Free subscriptions
to all of our electronic and print-based newsletters are available
We hope this information proves useful to you in your
efforts to create affordable housing. If you need
assistance or have regulatory reform strategies &
resources you'd like to share, send us an email at, call us at 1-800-245-2691 (option
4), or visit Regulatory Barriers Clearinghouse website
at: RBC is a free service of
U.S. HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research, and
is part of the HUD USER Research Information Service and
Clearinghouse. For Housing Research Delivered to Your
Door... and Your Desktop, visit
This message was forwarded to you by the Regulatory
Barriers Clearinghouse listserv ( because
you had expressed an interest in affordable housing and
regulatory reform. If you do not wish to receive these
occasional messages, send an email from your account to with the word "unsubscribe" in the

Related Categories: